Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Welcome to the 60's! (Nov 2012)

From the Green Room:

I can't believe it's only been a month since last G2GR, so much has happened! The Buddy Holly Story had a great, albeit short, run. It was so bittersweet to say goodbye to that production and cast. We were really just hitting our stride when we closed. The day after Buddy closed, I flew right from Sullivan, IL to Syracuse, NY to begin rehearsals for Hairspray at the Redhouse Arts Center. I landed at about 7pm, and was in rehearsal by 8pm! I've been having a blast playing the role of Link Larkin so far (we open this weekend). This has been the “bridesmaid” of roles for me... Always a callback, never a call. I think I've been called back for this role for nine different productions, so it feels very good to finally be able to do it. This production is very special too because the Redhouse is an educational theater that utilizes professional actors (Equity Guest Contract), community members, and inner-city youth. It's so neat to be performing in a professional caliber show while passing on my knowledge to upcoming and community actors! Something I can definitely see myself doing more of later in my career.

From outside the Green Room:

As I mentioned, the Buddy contract was too short but I had such a blast doing it. That is quite possibly one of the most multi-talented casts I've ever worked with. Everyone could play several instruments, so we enjoyed several pretty awesome jam sessions. We also treated ourselves to a “Hallow-giving”, a huge potluck feast on Halloween. We ate amazing food and watched horror movies all night. Since being in snowy Syracuse, I've been very busy with rehearsals, but did get a chance to get away for Thanksgiving. I took off to St. Louis for a few days to spend Thanksgiving with Morgana's family. They have a HUGE family reunion feast with tons of people and food... such a great time! I also got to see where she grew up and spend some quality time with her family. It was a much needed break from rehearsal... although it was a little daunting to come right back into a 10 of 12 (12 hour tech rehearsal)! Besides that, this cast is great and I've loved working/living with the other “NYC professionals”. We live in an amazing apartment in the same building as the theater. Obligatory theater shenanigans ensues... Very “Real World” -esk!

Lessons Learned:

Green to Green Room was started to chronicle my journey from businessman into working actor. Ironically enough, if I keep it up, it may follow the journey back into the world of business, just with a brand new focus and much more direction. I say this because my new long-term career goal is to someday own/executive direct/artistic direct my own regional theater company. Don't get me wrong, I hope to still have plenty more performing days ahead of me, but I've started to take note for the distant future. My past several contracts have really allowed me to pin-point aspects of each theater company that I really enjoy. I love the production value and reputation of Ogunquit's main stage shows, the venue at the Arts Center of Coastal Carolina, the “school” of the Little Theater, and the diverse educational aspects of Redhouse. So now my request to everyone, if you know of anyone that could set me up with a “theater biz” job, especially in NYC, I'd definitely be interested in speaking with them. Paid internships, production assistant, etc... Although, performing jobs still take priority! Thanks!

Peace and Love,
Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment