Wednesday, November 28, 2012

That Lonesome Road... (Nov 2011)

From the Green Room:

Hello from the road! Here on the South Pacific 2nd national, we keep trucking on! After being spoiled by our first month in which we had full week sit-downs, we got a taste of real road life... A couple weeks in a row of "split-weeks"! Now for those unfamiliar with the term "split-week", it means weeks with shows in more than one city... sometimes a new city every night! The travel has been long, but surprisingly rewarding. Daily sound checks two hours prior to our call, watching the crew scamble to finish load-in in, new theaters, new backstages, new dressers, and new audiences all get thrown together to ultimately create a new show! It's fascinating and exhausting traveling all day just to get off the bus and start getting ready to do a show that night! We've been through FL, PA, WV, DE, IA, SD, ND, WI, MN, CO, NE, WY, and TX all in a matter of a month. Pretty awesome stuff if you ask me! I love my job...

From outside the Green Room:

As tiring as the travel is, it's really pretty awesome as well. I've been working on finding the joy in the travel so as not to dwell on the fact that I'm adding years to my already failing knees by being crammed on a bus for so long! Simple things like the size of the horizon in middle-America compared to New York City is really kinda awesome if you let it be. I've had a few favorites including seeing the Rockies climb out of the horizon as we approached Ft. Collins, CO and then again on the way to the airport in Denver, stopping by Mt. Rushmore, playing in the Mall of America, watching a Texas Sunrise, and the COUNTLESS square miles of cornfields... okay, so maybe not the cornfields.

Lessons Learned:

A positive attitude will carry you far on tour. I have been blessed by being a part of such an incredible, talented, and drama-free cast. Even after losing one of our nurses to a broken foot (get better soon Jenny!), the general attitude remains positive. It truly is a blessing to have the opportunity to perform for a living, the trick is reminding yourself of that when you're dead tired from traveling all day, sitting at your station in your dressing room and they just called "15-minutes". I've found routine helps. I try my best to make sure I do the same warm-up, stretch, prayer, and mental prep before every show. This forces me to build momentum throughout the pre-show until I burst over that dune for "Bloody Mary"!

Hope all is well,

Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment