Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A New Chapter (June 2012)

From the Green Room:

Tour's over. Crazy. We had an amazing finishing stretch. There was some exciting news during our week in Rochester (besides my birthday!), I got to perform the role of Luther Billis! It was terrifying, exciting, and gratifying all at the same time. By throwing me into the fire, it helped me learn what it actually takes to be a successful understudy. It's important to have done the work and trust yourself and your cast, but then you just have to go out there and have fun! I absolutely progressed in my craft in three little hours. Finally, we wrapped up our nine month adventure at the amazing Filene Center in Wolf Trap, VA. Such a beautiful venue. If you ever have a chance to see something there, do it! After which, I was fortunate enough to head up to Ogunquit, Maine to be part of a different production of South Pacific at the beautiful Ogunquit Playhouse (OPH)! We've just wrapped up our first week of rehearsals. It's certainly a weird thing being in rehearsals for a show I've done 235 times, but it's a new cast with a new creative team, and therefore a new show. I also get to play a new role, taking on the personality of Yeoman Herbet Quale. Our brilliant director Shaun Kerrison, and the rest of our creative team, has emphasized the importance of not growing complacent. Keep searching for that new piece of information that inspires you, motivates you, deepens your character, etc... Basically, don't slip into the comfort of the work you've done before, but build ON TOP of that work. A great message for all walks of life.

From outside the Green Room:

I was fortunate enough to have a ten day layoff between Rochester and Wolf Trap in which I spent the time back in New York City! It was so great to be back. Morgana had planned an amazing birthday “day” for us which ended with us seeing Once on Broadway. This show is possibly my new favorite musical. I loved the movie, but the show is even better. I also saw Sister Act which was a fun, vocal gymnastics display with some stylized comedic acting. Finally, I won the lottery for Newsies, which was just incredible. Jeremy Jordan is a freak of nature and the dancing in that show is out of this world. I even got to see a concert dance show that one of Morgana's companies was performing in. Finally, once in Maine, I saw Always, Patsy Cline starring Sally Struthers at the OPH. I have loved watching so many different varieties of performances these last two weeks. It really helps broaden my horizons and gain a deeper appreciation for all styles of performance.

Lessons Learned:

I just got off the phone with my Dad and we were joking that work isn't called play for a reason. But the cool thing is, what I get to do everyday is put on a play. There's got to be something to that. As I now am doing this regional production, it's easy to focus on the fact that I'm back in rehearsals or that I get paid a third of what I was making on tour. That's what makes it all the more important to remember that I get to do what I love. I “play” for a living... and that's pretty cool. It's that “play” that allows us to enjoy the “work” I mentioned before. Not resting on our laurels, but instead striving to be better in all elements of our craft. It's just like going on as an understudy, trust your previous work, be open to new things, and have fun and you'll get better every day.

Peace and Love,

Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment