Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From The Beach! or, Thank Your Swing! (Apr 2012)

From the Green Room:

Well, I'd say this is well deserved! This edition of "G2GR" is coming to you live from the beach side pool in Ft. Lauderdale! (Well that first sentence was, I got distracted by sunny skies, cold drinks, and good company... I'm now in the green room at the theater.) Whew! We had a very busy month. Since Chicago, we have traveled 5,810 miles (103 hours) on a bus, it's been 47 performances (141 hours of South Pacific), but we are FINALLY rewarded with a two week sit down in beautiful Ft. Lauderdale at the Broward Center of Performing Arts. We've had some great audiences through New England, New York, the Midwest, and several cities in Florida. One of my favorite theaters was in Scranton, PA at the Scranton Cultural Center. The theater is actually a converted Masonic Temple! We just did another PR spot here in Ft. Lauderdale, check out the links to the video and pictures! Also, our crew took a cool time lapse of their load-in. These guys are incredible to do this day-in and day-out... I do not envy them.

From outside the Green Room:

You wouldn't think there IS any time outside the green room except on a bus, and you're not far off! With that being said, this has still been a really neat month on tour with lots of great experiences. I'll admit, I'm not much of a Frat Star anymore, but I have had the pleasure of getting to see several other chapter houses of my fraternity, Phi Gamma Delta. This month I got to see the houses at U of Vermont, U of Maine, and Indiana University. One of my favorite stops on tour so far was when we were in Portland, ME. It's such a quaint little New England coast town with some great food and awesome crowds. Plus, it's the home of Otto's Pizza which is some of the best pizza I've ever tasted. We stopped over in Columbus, OH for a night which is where I lived my “other” life as a computer dork business man before my quarter-life crisis. It was great to catch up with old friends, but I wish I had a show there! I've been loving Florida. I even bought goggles to play in the pools and ocean!

Lessons Learned:

It's really been a teaching experience to have such a tedious string of one-nighters, split-weeks, and long bus days into shows. Through all of that, I remain healthy... then as I'm in the midst of a two week sit down, I buckle my knee during a scene and have to sit act two out. It was so hard to sit in the green room and listen to the show happening without me, but so important that I rest and ice so that I can return healthy and avoid further injury. The lesson learned for this month is to swallow your pride and take care of yourself. This career needs to be looked at as a marathon, not a sprint. Also, thank your local swing. Our incredible swing jumped right into my track and finished out the show without skipping a beat! Yay Alex Pepper!

Now, as a side note. I'll be returning to New York this summer and would love to explore TV/Film/Print options. If anyone knows any connections, agencies, or means of exposure, please pass those on! Thanks so much y'all!

Hope all is well,

Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment