Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Better late than never... (Sept 2012)

From the Green Room:

I apologize to all who follow my newsletter for skipping a month and being late this month. New York City is all I remembered it to be! Hectic, hectic, hectic! But it's been great being back. I finished up in Ogunquit in the middle of July and headed back to Pittsburgh for some much needed R&R. I finally moved back to NYC on August 1st to get back to the grind. I've been pounding the pavement and making the rounds at auditions and have fortunately had some luck recently! After several rounds of final callbacks for the national tours of Elf and Hair (for the role of Claude), as well as several cruise ships and regional theaters... I finally got a bite! I'm taking off on October 15th to head to Sullivan, IL to play Norm Petty in The Little Theater on the Square's production of Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story. That wraps up November 4th and I immediately fly to Syracuse, NY to begin rehearsals for the Red House Arts Center's production of Hairspray, in which I'll play Link Larkin! I've been wanting to play that role for a while now, so I am very excited! I also get to play piano in Buddy, which will be challenging but fun! So, as soon as I'm back in NYC, this crazy industry ships me off for the rest of 2012... and I couldn't be more excited about it!

From outside the Green Room:

After a much needed break in Pittsburgh, I made the move back to my apartment in New York City and began the process all over again. First on my list was to get that income back flowing! I had a little lull in the beginning of August where I was able to fit in some background work. It's a thankless job, but I really have a good time doing it! Look for me on future episodes of 666 Park Ave and Girls! I was then able to line up a great job working as an Usher at the Harold and Miriam Steinberg Theater in Times Square. It's a great off-broadway theater currently hosting Jake Gyllenhaal's American stage debut, If There Is I Haven't Found it Yet. I've loved working in the front of house, it really keeps my focus on where I want to eventually be! Finally, I started coaching soccer for Super Soccer Stars again which pays well and is a very rewarding job... who can complain about playing soccer with kids in Central Park! Outside of the “survival jobs” I've just been enjoying having Morgana and friends around and trying to take advantage of all NYC offers!

Lessons Learned:

Patience is a virtue... and so is focus. My two lessons learned (since I skipped last month) are patience and focus in this career. First off, it's important to know what you want and what you need to do to get it. I thought I wanted to do tv/film/print work when I got back from tour, but I did nothing to get myself there! I just kept going to musical theater auditions, and poof! I book musical theater jobs! I don't know why I'm surprised... but even this old dog can learn new tricks. I've been going to seminars with industry professionals and learning as much as I can about on-camera work, so I can really be ready to pursue that when I'm back. Piggybacking off that idea, I need to slow down my goals and set realistic benchmarks for myself, redefine my “personal success” if you will. I was back less than two months and I was already getting antsy for my next project. This is an industry where you've got to hear 100 “no's” before you hear that yes, so you better allot time for those hundred “no's” and not stress out too soon! Especially when trying to explore a new genre.

Peace and Love,
Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment