Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Light in the distance... (Feb 2012)

From the Green Room:

Hello again from the South Pacific National Tour! It may be a ways off, but the light at the end of the tunnel is now present. We are starting a four month stretch with no breaks until the contract is (for all intensive purposes) over. It's really a surreal, bittersweet realization. Sixteen more weeks... 16 more paychecks! Eeek! So where did I leave off. We finished at the ASU Gammage Theater and then had two split weeks. We traveled through Middle America, the Southwest (OK, KS, NM, NV) and California before getting to a week off. We all met back up in Nashville, TN where we've been playing the beautiful Tennessee Performing Arts Center to wonderful audiences. We also had the director in town working with some put-in rehearsals for some replacements, so that's kept things busy here. With Chicago as our next stop, we have also had some rehearsals for a cool PR spot we'll be doing, I'll definitely post it next month! (Can't ruin the surprise now!) The show continues to run and we've been receiving wonderful reviews. I was even kinda (see if you can spot it) mentioned in this great one from Nashville's Broadway World!

From outside the Green Room:

As mentioned before, there is definitely a sense of unease to see the end in sight, even if very distant sight. It's a feeling of uncertainty and change which can be both exciting and terrifying. That being said, one of my new years resolutions was to enjoy tour while it lasted. I did just that on my week off! I met up with Morgana in Las Vegas (my first time there) on Monday. A bunch of us rented a car from Palm Desert (our last stop before break) and drove it. It's a cool city for a very limited amount of time. I did see my first Cirque show though and it was incredible! If you're ever in Vegas, you have to see La Reve. It was, apparently, a week of firsts for me as I then continued on to Los Angeles for my first time there. Another really cool city that I just don't know if I could ever call home. As much as TV/Film interests me, its size and character didn't really jive with me. I love how NYC is a community. LA seemed a little to cutthroat and posh for my style. Other than the week off, I've been loving Nashville despite the gloomy weather, I had an incredible journey though the California mountains, had fun gambling in Laughlin, NV, and appreciated my tour of the Phi Gamma Delta house at University of Kansas.

Lessons Learned:

I would have to say that this past month has taught me to appreciate the journey, and not dwell on the destination. We drove though some COUNTRY roads passing through KS, OK, NM, NV, and CA... but it was all worth it driving through the California mountains. I must have looked like a 10 year old version of myself, just plastered to the window of the bus, taking pictures with my jaw wide open. It was honestly one of the coolest, most beautiful things I've ever seen. I have never wanted to go horseback riding more in my life, It's like driving through Middle Earth! There's a lot to be thankful for on this tour, but I can honestly say that between the sunsets over Laguna Beach, the view of San Luis Obispo from the top of a mountain, the rolling deserts of NV, or the roar of a sold-out house in Palm Desert... I am truly blessed. It's a really cool thing to do what you love for a living, and it's an even cooler thing when you realize it.

Hope all is well,

Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment