Sunday, January 6, 2013

An Amazing Year In Review! (Dec 2012)

From the Green Room:

Alright... so the holidays were a little busy, but it's better late than never! I am back in NYC after a fantastic finale of 2012. Hairspray was so much fun. It was really an amazing show and an amazing cast. I think I had mentioned that the Red House Arts Center is an educational theater, meaning they work with professional and community actors to put on a very high caliber show while having community actors exposed to a professional work environment. It was so cool being able to “teach by example” and be a resource to aspiring younger actors. It definitely made me excited at the prospect of teaching or directing at some point in my life... BUT, that will have to wait because I'm headed back out for another four months to do a production of S'Wonderful at the Straz Performing Arts Center in Tampa, FL! S'Wonderful is a George and Ira Gershwin “reviewsical” because it's not strictly a review, but it's also not a full blown musical. There are five actors that sing through over 40 Gershwin songs that have all been strung together with several plot lines. It's a great way to get out of the NYC winter and familiarize myself with some of the greatest music of the 20th century!

From outside the Green Room:

Syracuse was nice to me... We never got more than a dusting of snow! That allowed us to really enjoy the end of the contract with daily trips into Armory Square to read at Starbucks, go out for a nice meal, or see Polar Express in Imax at the Museum of Science and Technology. A fellow castmate and I also took a road trip to Elmira, NY to see my good friend Christian play Lord Farquaad in the national tour of Shrek. He was brilliant and the show was a blast! I spent a few days back in NYC after Hairspray ended before returning to Pittsburgh for the holidays. Both my brothers and their wives were in town which meant a very full house and an awesome Christmas. One of my favorite gifts was a DSLR camera (Canon T3i). Morgana got me a NYC photography class too, so I'll figure out how to use the thing and be ready to take anyone's headshots! I really enjoy photography and am looking forward to digging more into it! For the New Year and Morgana's birthday (she's a new year's baby) we saw the world premier of Flashdance in Pittsburgh, starring my good friend Matt Hydzik! It's a great show and I highly recommend everyone seeing it when it comes to a city near you or Broadway in the fall!

Lessons Learned:

Wow, what a year. I have been so blessed to have had the year that I did. I spent almost ten of the twelve months working in this crazy industry, did four shows including the tail end of my first national tour, started exploring on-camera work more, and had work for 2013 booked before 2012 had ended. I guess my lesson learned is from the whole year, not just the last month. This industry is crazy... when you're high, you're high... but when you're low, you can be very low. When you've got work, make it count! Enjoy it! The importance of showing up everyday ready to have fun and work hard is paramount... I love what I do and it has really paid off for me so far! Do a good job and don't make any enemies. I got my audition appointment for Buddy because of a recommendation from the choreographer of South Pacific. I got Hairspray because the choreographer was a friend of Morgana's. I got S'Wonderful because the director was on tour with me... It's such a small world that your reputation will make or break you. So here's a tip of the hat to a great 2012 and wishes of happiness, health, and prosperity to all!

Peace and Love,
Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment