Wednesday, May 8, 2013

New City, New Sights, New Goals (April 2013)

From the Green Room:

This is a week late because, well, I am officially, gainfully, unemployed again (and getting re-situated in NYC is a pain). 'S Wonderful had a strong finish with two full, eight show weeks. It was really sad to see this show go. The show itself is fun and the Gershwin's are obviously brilliant, but the people are what can really make or break a contract... and I couldn't have asked for a better group to work with. While I was finishing up in Tampa, I started a new endeavor of headshot photography. I would love for my "company", AJMPhoto, to become a means of providing supplemental income for when I'm in the city OR out on a contract. I think I've gotten some pretty good shots so far, but I'm still shooting people for free to build my own skill and a portfolio to market myself with. Upon arriving back to NYC, I've been scoping out the auditions and classes I want to get to and looking forward to a nice summer in the city! Summertime and the living's easy...

From Outside the Green Room:

April was a fun month performing because I had some visitors come see the show! Both my brother and his wife and my parents were able to make it to the show. They said they really enjoyed the performance and seemed to have a good time hanging out in Tampa, albeit briefly. We finally had some great weather for the last month, so we hit up the beaches and spent time in Curtis Hixon Park throwing around the "bee" (frisbee). I also was able to get outside and shed the shirt for a photo shoot! I figure, I've been spending time and money to go to the gym, I might as well document it! As I mentioned last month, print work is definitely something that I want to get into now that I'm back in the city. Any type of supplemental income that comes from the "arts" (photography, print, etc...) is better than getting it through survival jobs. Speaking of survival jobs, I'm back coaching soccer which is fun and just worked my first catering event (Costume Institute Gala... every celeb ever was there). Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try...

Lessons Learned:

Hmmm... I've probably already learned this lesson, but sometimes things have to be drilled into my head for them to stick. I'm a little bit like Dori from Finding Nemo, hence why Morgana calls me Goldfish Brian sometimes. haha. Priorities and Patience. After traveling for the better part of the last two years, my priorities have shifted from booking the next gig, to spending time in NYC with Morgana and moving up in my career, not laterally. Everything I've done up to this point has been progress. Starting with ensemble in regional shows, to ensemble in a national tour, to principles in regional shows... now it's time to either be a principle in a tour or take that leap of faith and start working toward the Equity card. I've built my resume, I've proven to myself and the industry that I belong here, now it's time to make it my career. So making progress a priority may mean being patient and not taking the first gig I'm offered. I need to be ready and excited for that. And if anyone can help set me up with an Agent!!! That's progress!! Plus, spending a summer (at least) in the city with Morgana is also something I'm looking forward to! Our love is here to stay...

Peace and Love,
Andrew Mauney
www.andrewmauney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment